Sunday, January 11, 2009

letter

May 5, 1918

Dearest Friend:

Hi! How are you today? I’m okay, I guess. I saw something devastating earlier today on the television. The news broadcasted over what used to be the Village of Esnes. I felt like crying because it was completely destroyed. It used to be so pretty! Why must they do this? I wish this war would end. I can’t take it anymore. Do you know that I can hear gun shots and bombs every single night? It seems like it’s getting closer to my area. What’s going to happen to me and my family? I’m scared of what’s going happen to our life. What if I lose my most prized possessions due to the fire from the bombs? I’m tired of living in fear. I wish things could be how they used to be. Me and my family used to go out every Friday night for our annual “family night.” I used to always go out with my friends and have loads of fun. Since the war, everything stopped. I can hardly go out anymore. It makes me cry to even think about it?

Anyway, how are things in America? How’s your mom? I know your older brother and father is serving in war so she has to take care of you and your younger siblings. Does she still work at that factory? I think it’s so awesome that more women are working now. I never liked the idea of being dependent on your husband. My mom says that I will never find a husband thinking that way, but whatever. Did you know that Russia is actually enrolling women as soldiers? It seems like women are getting the same opportunities as men now. At least that’s one good thing that’s coming out of this war. But I heard that the women that are working in the factories are getting less than the men even though they’re doing the same job. Is it true? If it is that is so unfair. Why would they get paid less if they’re working just as hard as any man in there? I swear, the world is so messed up sometimes.

On the better note, I got the propaganda you sent to me. You guys sure have a lot of propaganda! Which is kind of weird because America just entered the war last year. Guess they didn’t waste time! I like them though. Some of them are really funny too. I would love for you to send me some more! I have to go. Write to you later!

Sincerely,

Kiesha

No comments: